Friday, July 26, 2019

Three Race Fans Killed During "U.S. 500" At MIS - July 26, 1998

July 26, 1998
The U.S. 500, the most prestigious race in the Championship Auto Racing Teams series, dissolves into tragedy on this day in 1998, when three fans are killed and six others wounded by flying debris from a car at Michigan Speedway in Brooklyn, Michigan.

While rounding the fourth turn, driver Adrian Fernandez lost control of his car and crashed into one of the raceway’s retaining walls. The car broke apart, and the right front tire and part of the suspension flew over the 15-foot-high wall and into the stands. Traveling nearly 200 mph, the debris hit fans in the eighth and 10th rows. Two people were killed instantly, another died moments later, and six others received minor injuries. To the outrage of Sports Illustrated reporter Rick Reilly, who wrote a scathing editorial about the incident in the magazine, race officials didn’t stop the event, which was won by the young Canadian driver Greg Moore. In August 1998, Michigan Speedway announced that it would extend the protective fencing around all of its grandstand sections to a total of around 17 feet in an effort to prevent further accidents.


3 comments:

  1. A very bad feeling when you see this wheel assembly/tire coming at you with no place to go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was there. Wheel flew over my head. Terrible accident.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was running a pit board for the 34 car on this day. I seen this happen from the wall. My Mother Marcelia Wilson and my Daughter Corrie Wilson Besseck were in the stands. With all the responsibilities I had as a Hospitality manager for Walter Payton and Dale Coyne racing I had failed to find out where their seats were. It hit me like a ton of bricks when I seen the front wheel tire and wishbone go over the fence that sent that section of fans scattering. One of my staff Terry Callebert took matters into his own hands to find out the safety of my family. It seemed like forever before safety personnel and ambulances arrived. I'll never forget this day as long as I live because life can change in a matter of seconds. Thank God neither one of them were injured or even close to the incident. But I do have a place in my heart for the people who lost loved ones that day everyone was just trying to enjoy a great event and race.

    ReplyDelete